Did you know that more and more people are getting brought in emergency rooms because of slipping, tripping, and falling? Such accidents lead to one’s confinement and treatment in a hospital. This is according to a recent study conducted by the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI). While accidental in nature, victims of these cases can file a formal complaint and get compensation to pay for the hospitalization and treatment of injuries. Victims can even seek compensation for the pain and suffering that they have to go through because of these accidents.
Slip and fall accidents are things that should not be taken lightly. In fact, it is so serious that the NFSI collected information about slips and falls and came up with the following:
- Around 9 million people seek treatment from hospital emergency rooms every year because of these accidents
- Half of the incidents of accidental death cases recorded in homes are caused by falls that usually happen at ground level
- Slips and falls have been the leading cause of occupational injury for workers 15-24 years old and the leading cause of worker’s compensation claims.
These statistics are rather alarming; but what does really cause a slip, trip, and fall accidents to happen? But what could really cause these accidents to happen?
Accidents Waiting to Happen
Failure to properly maintain a place is one of the most common precursors for slip and fall accidents. According to recent study though, here are some of the circumstances that would most likely lead to a slip and fall accident:
- Narrow or broken and unsafe stairways
- Poorly lit areas
- Poorly maintained sidewalks and private areas
- Bad and unsafe practices on people
- Unguarded, improperly-covered manholes
- Uneven floor surfaces as well as loose carpeting, and floors that are wet
- Unsafe practices in areas where construction are being held, and
- Violations various safety codes
Just How Dangerous Slip and Fall Accidents could be?
Slip and fall is not one of the most leading causes of accidents in the country for nothing. These are dangerous and could put the lives of people in danger. What are the injuries that such accidents can bring?
- Cracking of or shattered bones
- Knee injuries,
- Muscle and ligament injuries, and
- Neck injuries
More than these, a slip and fall could also be forced to leave their jobs. This can cause the stoppage or lessening of one’s injuries.
Taking Slips and Falls Seriously
Given the gravity and the seriousness of slip and fall accidents, it is important that people start taking this kind of accident seriously. While you can do everything you can to avoid these from happening, it is important to know what you should do when the unavoidable happens. Seek justice and get that much-needed compensation by immediately filing a personal injury claim with the help of a lawyer against those responsible for your injuries. Through this, you don’t only get the assistance you badly need, you will also be able to prevent such things from happening to others and teach a very important lesson to the person who caused your injuries.